April 16, 2012

Make Your Own Ebook Covers



All I needed was an eBook cover, and what I got was junk
I had created an eBook and was already selling it successfully, but wanted to ramp up sales with a better-looking sales page. So, I found an online source for designers and hired one to do my cover.

The first graphic he sent was just my title on a plain brown background...not even any cool images!
I was mad!
I sent him competitor products so he could see the theme I was going for. I even ended up sending him some graphics to use. After four or five attempts, I got something that didn't look terrible, but it cost me a lot of my time, and over $50!
I knew I could do better myself...and I'm not even a designer!
So, I downloaded GIMP. It's free graphic design software, as powerful as Photoshop, but without the $300 sticker price!
I played around with GIMP, bought books on how to use it, and got better at it, but I couldn't get the 3D Covers to look the way I wanted. I searched the internet, and found NOTHING that told me how to make what I wanted...a good-looking 3D ebook cover.
I needed help.
That's when Alex entered the picture. I knew my friend Alex had done some graphic design before, and was an incredible artist. I enlisted his help, and in a few months together we figured out all the detailed steps to create really great-looking ebook cover graphics. It occurred to me that as hard as I had looked for a good tutorial on how to make these graphics, I bet there are people LIKE YOU who could use this information, too.
Once we could recreate a professional-looking ebook cover every time, we documented the exact steps taken. We took screenshots, we wrote down exact settings, and we listed out all the resources we used (like where to get license-free graphics).
Then, the final step: "The Wife Test".
Neither of our wives had any experience with graphic design...especially not on a computer. So, to bullet-proof our new guide, we had them sit down with it and walk through step-by-step. I'm not gonna lie...we hadn't documented well enough the first time around. We watched where they stumbled, and added clarity to make a tutorial robust enough for a complete beginner.
But we wanted MORE than just a written tutorial.
So, we took anything that could be useful to someone creating their own ebook cover, and stuffed it into the "Make Your Own EBook Cover" package.


Download  eBook cover

0 comments:

Post a Comment